Wondering what to do with the kids when its pouring with rain outside, believe it or not a rainy day can actually be lots of fun for young kids. There are tons of indoor activities that you can take advantage of. You can have fun with Playdough, get musical, do arts and crafts activities, play games, have fun in the kitchen or sing and dance.
Rainy Day Activities For Kids
Here’s a easy Play-dough recipe that will keep for a long time in a airtight container, I make this for my kids and they love it especially as they can make whichever colour they choose.
- 250g plain flour
- 50g salt
- 140ml water
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Few drops of food colouring
- Mix together the flour and sale in a large mixing bowl, add the water and oil.
- Knead well until mixture is smooth about 10 minutes. Just add a bit more flour or water until the consistency is smooth.
- Add food colouring and knead until the colour if completely blended.
- Store in a plastic bag in an airtight container.
Want to make music? Get out your pots and pans and use wooden spoons – you have your own drum set. Use the lids as cymbals. Use plastic bottles as shaker bottles, fill them with small stones or pasta shells, think you get the picture, a little noisy but lots of fun.
Make potato stamps it’s a simple and fun art activity. All you need are a few potatoes, wash and dry them, slice them in half and use a marker to outline your shape, remember you will be cutting these shapes that will only need to be a quarter inch deep. Do not cut through your shape as the shape should protrude out from the rest of the potatoe.
Pour your paint into a shallow dish and dip the potato stamp into the paint and press against the paper if you are making posters or onto blank cards or t-shirts.